Friday, February 5, 2016

Education and Roadschooling

This year I've been homeschooling our youngest son (9). It's been a series of experiments to see what does and doesn't work for him. Some things have worked right off the bat and others we labored at until I realized it was time to abandon the original plan and try something else. We have our good days and our not-so-good days. Overall though, I think it's been the best thing we've done this year. Don't get me wrong. I love the elementary school our kids have grown up in. The teachers are wonderful and we have a supportive community with many resources. As a parent, though, it's my responsibility to be paying attention to my child and what he needs to help him succeed for the future. This year he needed to explore and grow at his own pace and in a different environment. Rather than tell you about the challenges, I'd like to tell you about a few of the successes.

In September we started swim lessons. He HATED getting his face wet. New things can be scary and until this year he just wasn't ready to "take the plunge". Fast forward to today- he's swimming laps! I can't even begin to describe the joy and pride that fills his face when it's time to go to the pool. Being able to take lessons when everyone else is at school has made all the difference. It's quieter and there is a seniors aquatics class at the same time. My little guy has become buddies with all the "grandpa's" and he loves it! In everyday life we interact with people of all ages so I think it's wonderful that he's able to experience this time with them. It gives him an opportunity to form relationships and learn from others who have lived longer and have valuable information to impart. How much we miss when we only interact with people who are most like us (age, gender, skin color, background).

Our son is also becoming more aware of self-management and how to apply what he's learning to every day life. He recognizes the difference in how much better he can focus when we're in our quiet home sitting at the table for schoolwork, as opposed to somewhere busier and full of new things to look at. Math has never been a problem for him but now he's exploring how you can get creative with it, like in cooking! Last week he made delicious brownies for my quilt group without any help from me. He was so proud of himself! He's learning to read and write cursive which is important in signing documents to distinguish yourself from others. This year he even learned how to address envelopes. It may sound like a silly little thing, but I was shocked to learn my middle school age children had no idea how to do it.

This sweet boy can now pronounce his R sounds, thanks to the fantastic speech therapist he's been seeing while his siblings are at school. We are able to see plays, visit museums, read books, meet with other homeschooled kids at the park, and just "be" instead of rushing from one thing to the next, worrying how we're going to fit it all in before we collapse at bedtime. If he needs a nap one day, he's able to take one. It's made a huge difference. I now feel like I can handle roadschooling all three next year without the overwhelming self-doubt that can come from jumping into the unknown of homeschooling after traditional schooling. Believe me, there are days when I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. There are days when I feel like we've done nothing and I'm failing him. Don't make the mistake of thinking our life is all roses and sunshine. The thing that keeps me going is looking at the progress he's made in the past six months and how much he's learning about himself and his own capabilities. I have no doubt it's giving him the confidence he will need on his journey into manhood to stand up for what he believes in and to know that he's able to do so much more than what someone else might say. Hopefully, it's also teaching him empathy for others and to realize that there is a lot to learn no matter what age you are.

When we return for the 2017-2018 school year, we'll reassess where we are education-wise. Most likely, our kids will return to the local schools. Since our oldest will be in high school, we need to plan ahead for the credits he'll need to be on track with his peers. We also need to be aware of the laws regarding education in each state as we travel. The Homeschool Legal Defense Association is a valuable resource for this. http://www.hslda.org/  We'll also be working with the local high school so our son can transition seamlessly. We have every confidence that all three kids will return with a better understanding of the country we live in and the world around them. It's an exciting opportunity and I can't wait to see what unexpected gems we pick up along the way!

- Jen

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good mom!! I need you to homeschool ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I need you to be here to tell me that on the not-so-good days. ;-)

      Delete

End of code