Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Goodbye to Our Old Kentucky Home...

Sometimes I have conversations with myself. "Self," I say "You should really set aside a whole day and write an insightful, interesting, witty post for the blog. One that will make people stop and say "Wow! What this family is doing is truly amazing! This blog is the best thing I've ever read! I should forward this link to all my friends and make this idea an international sensation!"

Doesn't every blogger have that thought that at some point?

Then I remind myself that I need to stop and reevaluate my motives. Am I writing in a desperate ploy for attention and fame? Do I really want to thrust my children into the limelight? Am I writing because I am an expert on the subject of family travel and have new information that will enlighten the masses? Am I an accomplished writer with the ability to transfix my audience with my witty word play and creativity? The answers are no, no, no, and probably not.

The real reason I write each week is to document this awesome adventure. I never want to forget all the amazing experiences we've shared together as a family. I write because I want to share what we've done so others can be inspired to go out and have adventures of their own. I write because we've learned so much this past year, and maybe those things are new and interesting to someone else. Maybe even you.

After some thoughtful reflection, I answer myself "Self, that could be fun. But really, you're doing exactly what you intended to do. You've remained consistent each week and now your experiences have been documented. Keep moving forward and let's see what comes next. On to a new adventure!"

Is it weirder that I talk to myself, or that I answer back? Regardless, it's good to stop from time to time and remember what's important. I'm okay with the fact that sometimes my posts are descriptive, and sometimes life is going so fast that all I have time for is a flurry of pictures to give you (and us) a basic idea of what happened over the course of that particular week. It's all good, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to share it; with my family and also with you, dear reader.

Tomorrow we leave our final "home" on this great family adventure. While I'm excited to return to Washington, the home of my heart, at the end of the month, I'm sad to be leaving Kentucky. We have really had a wonderful time here and have enjoyed the Southern hospitality and charm. The people we've met are right up my alley. They've been friendly, creative, adventurous, and curious. I hope one day our travels will bring us back.

We head out early in the morning, so I need to get going and finalize everything. Here are some pictures to show you the things we've enjoyed over the past week:

The Douglass Loop Farmers Market was packed with juicy, ripe peaches and tomatoes this week. You know what that means! Pie and preserves!!

I found some other treasures too...


This is an antique store called Joe Ley Antiques. Check out the soldier out front!

We visited the Comfy Cow, which is an old-timey ice cream shop with a few quirks...my favorite! It's located in an old house and they've gotten creative with the decor.






The younger two and I went to Potterpalooza, an event hosted by the Louisville Free Public Library to celebrate the 20th birthday of the Harry Potter series. They did a fantastic job and everything was free!




Diagon Alley



The Muggle Museum





The Flying Broom Simulator

If you found all the "beasts" on the scavenger hunt, you could redeem your sheet for some special treats. 

The program/maps were wonderful!

A little science magic

Each person was assigned their house...

A little sleight of hand magic...


Haha! Cheesy photo ops! I love it!


Butter Beer


Quidditch

Trivia

The youngest and I visited the capital of Kentucky, Frankfort.





Did you know Johnny Depp is from Kentucky?

We toured Rebecca Ruth Chocolates, home of the bourbon ball. 


And we also visited the Kentucky Horse Park. Home to some amazing athletes! This year they are celebrating the 100th birthday of Man O' War.

This sculpture is in front of the park. Isn't it amazing!?!








My husband and I took our oldest to visit The Jeptha Creed and Copper and Kings Distilleries. Don't worry, all he sampled was some soda. He did, however, learn about the local distilling history and process. Did you know that Jeptha Creed is women and family owned? Everything is locally sourced. They're very new and it was a great tour!






Copper and Kings is using some interesting techniques to age their spirits. The use the vibrations of music! They are also a sustainable distillery. 






The kids and I drove out to Williamstown to see the Ark that's been built to the same specifications listed in the Bible. I would have loved to take a tour, but we were very short on time. I'm hoping to visit again one day. 

The next post will be coming to you from the road. And with that, this is the Schmidt family from Louisville, signing off! If you see a trailer with bumper stickers from the Arctic Circle, Key West, and Prince Edward Island, be sure to wave hello!

- Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code